Monday, January 14, 2013

Reflecting on my 1st week



After my first week in Namibia there are a lot of different thoughts for me to sort through.  During your first days in a new environment there are first impressions, misconceptions, knowledge gained and new experiences to reflect on.  I think these first few days can really shape the course the trip will take, and I am so excited for where I see the rest of this wonderful opportunity going.

             My first impression of Namibia was somewhat different than what I had anticipated.  Although I had done research and seem pictures it’s hard to really understand what a place you’ve never had any exposure to is going to be like.  I was struck with how kind the people here are and gracious that we are coming to teach for them, when I myself feel honored to be here.  Going to the farm really showed me contrast between different parts of Namibia such as Windhoek and the Tjiramba Farm.  Windhoek is a busy city and the business center of Namibia with malls, banks, and government buildings while the farm is centered around family and living off the land away from the bustle of busy life in Windhoek.

One of the most significant differences I have encountered since I have been here is the concept of time.  In the US we are always extremely busy and rushed with places to go, people to see, and no time to lose.  In Namibia it seems that people are much more patient and waiting is not such a big deal.  It has really stretched me to not become impatient when my plans are changed and I’m forced to be flexible.  Flexibility is a trait I would like to come away with after this trip.  Today while my patience was stretched as I waited (for much longer than I would have thought to be acceptable in the US) I also noticed a similarity between A.I. Steenkamp, and my school back home.  Both school have teachers that love children and believe education and equality are key to ensuring successful and fulfilling lives of our next generation.  I’m so looking forward to working with the teachers here and sharing what I have learned in during my education and experiences teaching, while also growing and stretching through working with teachers and students here in Namibia.




No comments:

Post a Comment