Sunday, January 13, 2013

Hello from Windhoek!



These last couple days I got the amazing opportunity to go to a wildlife reserve and traditional Namibian family farm.  The wildlife reserve, Okapuka, is a home to dozens of different types of animals from Namibia's national animal the Oreck, to Springbok, Antelope, Warthogs, and my personal favorite, Giraffes. 

 





















 In addition to going to the wildlife reserve and farm we were able to visit the schools in which we will be teaching as well as the after school centers where we will be volunteering.  I will be teaching at A.I. Steenkamp which is a primary school.  Throughout our time here my team and I rotate through volunteering at various after school programs for kids where we will be providing help with homework as well as getting to have some fun!! (More info on this to come)

 This weekend we had the opportunity to visit a family farm and get a taste of what Namibian cultue is really like.  It's still kind of hard for me to explain everything that I was able to experience this weekend but all I can say is I was so touched by the generosity, kindness and sense of family that was present while we were staying at the farm.  During the holiday season everyone in the family (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandma, grandpa, second cousin twice removed) get together and stay at the farm.  When we arrived we were greeted by no less than 15 children who where so excited to see us, and followed by their accommodating parents who wanted to make our experience the best one possible.  It's interesting to think about how my group and I felt so honored to be there, but at the same time they were honored to have us at their farm.  The farm was different than I expected, but in a good way that makes me want to go back and learn more about their culture and the values behind going back to the farm with family during the holiday.




 One of the mornings we had the opportunity to get up at 5:45 and go on a walk, something Edwin and his wife( the owner of the farm) do every morning.  While on our walk we made the trek to Botswana ! We got  to take pictures in no-mans land and I even stuck my fingers through the fence without a passport! While on the farm we got to eat all kinds of traditional food ( mostly meat) and I got to milk a cow..which unfortunately I wasn't very good at. Overall it was a wonderful experience and I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to spend time with these people I will never forget. 




When we got home from the farm we were all so excited to take a shower that we just couldn't wait so we all jumped in the pool with out clothes on.  Honestly nothing has ever felt so good. 






1 comment:

  1. You all are doing a great job there,,letting the beauty of our proud Africa known to the world.I am impressed there.

    ReplyDelete