Tuesday, January 8, 2013

It's only been a couple days?!

My first couple days in Namibia have been so full it's hard for me to think of all the amazing things I have learned and seen so far.  Yesterday we got the opportunity to go shopping in Windhoek, the capital of Namibia.  It was fun to see the similarities and difference between here and the U.S. ( yeah they have a KFC).  For dinner we had a braai which is a Namibian BBQ and we got to eat all kinds of different meat, which Namibia is so well known for.

After a night of finally being able to sleep in a bed we were off to a tour of Katutura, the township we are staying in.  I'm still processing everything I saw and learned about the segregation that happened such a short time ago during the apartheid,  I can't believe the events that took place were during my lifetime.

During our tour we got to visit a couple markets where you can buy food, jewelry  clothes, and even get your hair braided! I love all the colorful buildings and products, it's so much different from anything we have at home.


While at the market I got to meet some great kids and talk to them about school, I can't wait to start teaching in the weeks to come!


 After we left the markets we toured part of Windhoek where all the government buildings, museums, and historic buildings such as churches were located.  It was so interesting to compare this lush part of Windhoek to its township, Katutura that is just minutes away.


 I even got to see a little wildlife, nothing compared to what I'm sure I'll see tomorrow on our game drive :)



No comments:

Post a Comment